Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Salon.com Diary Day 65


Follow Sidik Fofana on his quest to land a freelancing job at the prestigious publication, Salon.com.

 The image “http://www.hamiddabashi.com/images/salon_com.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

So I forgot to tell you, I had been blogging on open.salon.com and a few days ago, the editors picked my post on the top books of African-American interest to grace open.salon's front page. Though, my goal is still to write for the actual site, making it to the front page of open salon (the editors monitor everyone's posts and pick appropriate ones for their daily page) is definitely a step in the right direction. A lot of people got to read my book picks. Many of them gave my post a thumbs up and left comments. I was ecstatic.

Why am I doing this diary you ask? I don't know. Well, for one. When I got into this business--journalism--I knew how much hard work and rejection I would have to face. So far I have had some sucesses and a lot of failures, but I have realized if I want something, I gotta pursue it until as Paulo Coelho says, "the universe conspires for you to have it." Secondly, my high school students read this blog from time to time. I want to show them that whatever they want in life takes time to get. I wouldn't be surprised or discouraged if I'm writing "Salon Diary Day 1000". I want to show them that success doesn't happen overnight.

And ah yes, part of me believes that in the romantic notion, however faint it is, that the salon.com staff is reading this and it has struck a chord in them.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on that. If you missed that Salon post, check it out and keep trucking, people, no matter what your dreams are!



1 comment: