Thursday, April 15, 2010

Salon.com Diary Day 157

Follow Sidik Fofana on his quest to land a freelancing job at the prestigious publication, Salon.com.

 
The image “http://www.hamiddabashi.com/images/salon_com.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
 
I was pleased to see that the editors at Open Salon chose my Born to Use Mics book review for the home page. Very pleased! Raise those champagne glasses!

You know, I read somewhere that James Baldwin published a book review a week for the leftist publication The New Leader. Though it's damn near sacrilege to try to emulate the great Baldwin, I'm definitely inspired to read and comment on as much quality literature as I can. I see Laura Miller's 1500 word book reviews on Salon and I am wowed at how she's in tune with what authors are trying to do, summarizing complex literary devices with witty catch phrases. She was on film a little while ago breaking down Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke and I thought: reading, writing, and talking about good books as a job and people respect your opinion, how cool is that?

Anyway, slowly and steadily, I'm getting more exposure as a reviewer of literature and sharpening my critical eye. I'm looking forward to that day where I can review top notch fiction from minority writers on bigger platforms. Yum yum.

-Sidik

For more Salon.com Diary entries, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment