Thursday, July 4, 2013

Gambia Day Four: Rain


Gambia Day Four: Rain




We're restless. The Africa mystique is wearing off. We're no longer dazzled by the monkeys, the frogs, the lizards, the butterflies. We're bored. We have to walk to the open reception for Internet. We have not gone to town yet. We're fighting. Something about her staying in the reception area to check an online bank account and me wanting to go back to the villa for the air conditioning. We stay in the reception area only to be welcomed by torrential downpour.

Thank god for books. What do you do when you're villa all day and you have no TV or Internet? You read. Before I left I had budgeted to read two books. One was The Complete Action Philosophers and the other, Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe I finished today. Luckily the resort has a library (more like a book swap) and I was able to snag a diamond in the rough copy of Life of Pi. Lindsay is reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.

We did go to the pool and I did seize pool time to rehab my achilles. The people at physical therapy in the States did give me some exercises to do abroad, but it's good to supplement them with some mobility in the water. Still I can't stand on my tippy toes and it saddens me.I think about if something were to pop off, I wouldn't even to be able to scamper away.

Today for lunch we had the tiger prawn and it cost 500 dalasis! Okay, that's only 15 dollars, but still. We are at the point where our funds are drying up. Pretty soon, we might have to hit up the one ATM in the town. It's funny how we were so rich a day ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment