Friday, December 17, 2010

Do You Tip for Pick Up?

I asked several of my colleagues this question over the past few weeks and all of them said no. Only for being waited on a table. But, I could have sworn that the servers at the restaurant across the street from my apartment were giving me the stinkeye when I picked up a swordfish entree to go without greasing the cashiers with a few dollars. Or maybe it was just me. I have to admit I get this overwhelming urge to compensate for stereotypes. As a black man, I never want to get caught in the no-tipping zone. That's why in taxis, at hair salons, for deliveries, I always give a little extra something than normal. I don't want to be that stereotype "perpetuator" so to speak. Maybe that urge has got me paranoid. What do you think?

http://www.foodgps.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/californias-restaurant-dining-area.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I tip for services because I once worked as a server. My barber, food servers, taxi drivers and bag handlers deserve monetary acknowledgement for their efforts-unless they fail to perform.

    ReplyDelete